Sweet, Sour, And Spicy Orange Chicken And Broccoli With Cashews
1⁄4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1⁄4 cup orange juice
1⁄4 cup white vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1-1⁄4 cups water
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup dry sherry
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and sliced thin
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted cashews, toasted
1-1⁄2 pounds broccoli, florets cut into 1-inch pieces, stalks peeled and sliced on bias 1⁄4 inch thick
4 medium scallions, sliced 1⁄4-inch thick on bias
- FOR THE SAUCE: Whisk ingredients together in small bowl and set aside.
- FOR THE STIR-FRY: Combine garlic, ginger, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in small bowl and set aside. Combine 1 cup water, soy sauce, and sherry in medium bowl. Add chicken and stir to break up clumps. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour. Pour off excess liquid from chicken.
- Mix sesame oil, cornstarch, and flour in medium bowl until smooth. Toss chicken in cornstarch mixture until evenly coated.
- Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking. Add half of chicken in even layer and cook, without stirring, until golden brown on first side, about 1 minute. Flip chicken pieces over and cook until lightly browned on second side, about 30 seconds. Transfer chicken to clean bowl. Repeat with 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and remaining chicken.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to skillet and heat until just smoking. Add broccoli and cook 30 seconds. Add remaining 1⁄4 cup water, cover, and lower heat to medium-low. Cook broccoli until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes, then transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Add garlic mixture to skillet, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, mashing mixture into pan, until fragrant and golden brown, 15 to 20 seconds.
- Return chicken to skillet and toss to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, add to skillet, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and evenly distributed, about 1 minute. Off heat, add broccoli and cashews and stir to combine. Transfer to platter, sprinkle with scallions, and serve.
PREPARING CHICKEN BREASTS FOR STIR-FRIES
1. To produce uniform pieces of chicken, separate tenderloins from partially frozen boneless, skinless breasts.
2. Slice breasts across grain into 1⁄2-inch-wide strips that are 1-1⁄2 to 2 inches long. Cut center pieces in half so they are approximately same length as end pieces.
3. Cut tenderloins on diagonal to produce pieces about same size as strips of breast meat.
CHICKEN STIR-FRY WITH CRISPY NOODLE CAKE
Thanks for using No Nonsense Recipes. We strive to make it a pleasant experience. You won't find ads or long, boring stories here. If you're enjoying the site, consider signing up for an account. You'll be supporting the project and gaining access to additional awesome features, such as:
- Search recipes
- Submit your own recipes
- View and make comments on recipes
- Rate recipes
- Save and tag recipes to quickly find them later
Accounts are free for 30 days and then only $19 USD per year or $2.57 per month. What have you got to lose? 😃
Start your Free Trial today!