Stir-Fried Chicken With Bok Choy And Crispy Noodle Cake
1⁄4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (9-ounce) package fresh Chinese noodles
1 teaspoon salt
2 scallions, sliced thin
1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and sliced thin
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 pound bok choy, stalks cut on bias into 1⁄4-inch pieces and greens cut into 1⁄2-inch strips
1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1⁄4-inch strips
- FOR THE SAUCE: Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
- FOR THE NOODLE CAKE: Bring 6 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add noodles and salt and cook, stirring often, until almost tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain noodles, then toss with scallions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Spread noodles evenly across bottom of skillet and press with spatula to flatten into cake. Cook until crisp and golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Slide noodle cake onto large plate. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet and swirl to coat. Invert noodle cake onto second plate and slide it, browned side up, back into skillet. Cook until golden brown on second side, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Slide noodle cake onto cutting board and let sit for at least 5 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving. (Noodle cake can be transferred to wire rack set over baking sheet and kept warm in 200-degree oven for up to 20 minutes.) Wipe out skillet with wad of paper towels.
- FOR THE STIR-FRY: While noodles boil, toss chicken with soy sauce and sherry in medium bowl and let marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour. Whisk sesame oil, cornstarch, and flour together in large bowl. Combine 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, ginger, and garlic in small bowl.
- Stir marinated chicken into cornstarch mixture. Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of chicken, break up any clumps, and cook without stirring until meat is browned at edges, about 1 minute. Stir chicken and continue to cook until cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Transfer chicken to clean bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Repeat with 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and remaining chicken.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to skillet and return to high heat until just smoking. Add bok choy stalks and bell pepper and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Clear center of skillet, add ginger mixture, and cook, mashing mixture into pan, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Stir ginger mixture into vegetables, then stir in bok choy greens and cook until beginning to wilt, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in chicken with any accumulated juices. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet and cook, tossing constantly, until sauce is thickened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to platter and serve with noodle cake.
Thanks for using No Nonsense Recipes. We strive to make it a pleasant experience. You won't find ads or long, boring stories here. If you're enjoying the site, consider signing up for an account. You'll be supporting the project and gaining access to additional awesome features, such as:
- Search recipes
- Submit your own recipes
- View and make comments on recipes
- Rate recipes
- Save and tag recipes to quickly find them later
Accounts are free for 30 days and then only $19 USD per year or $2.57 per month. What have you got to lose? 😃
Start your Free Trial today!